Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: 417 cab

  1. #1
    Inactive Member David Deratany's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I picked up a pair of 417's on Ebay and need to know what the considerations are in deciding whether to put them in an open back or tuned cab.

    They will be used for guitar and maybe pedal steel, whose lowest note is a B below an E which is an octave below the low E on a guitar.

  2. #2
    Inactive Member 417 - Alnico's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2003
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    I have bought 2 2x12's & a 1x12 @ http://www.avatarspeakers.com/
    The 2x12 can be a closed or open back, the sell an extra back for $29.

    WeberVST also sells cabs.http://www.webervst.com/index.html

  3. #3
    Inactive Member David Deratany's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 5th, 2002
    Posts
    127
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Interesting site....thanks for the link.

    As it turns out, I learned that my cabinet builder

    http://www.stereosteel.com

    has software which covers the 417 specifically and specifies an 8" opening in the back. So I am going to go with that. Your site gave me some reassurance that his prices are good.

    The cabs will match the pair I have that he makes with 15" BW's for pedal steel use. I'll be using the 12's for guitar, and maybe sometimes with the 15's at the same time for those special gigs.

    Dave

  4. #4
    Inactive Member 417 - Alnico's Avatar
    Join Date
    April 18th, 2003
    Posts
    201
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Post

    Seeking an update on these cab's & what your set-up is,that is; insrument's, signal processors etc...

  5. #5
    Hostboard Member thinking's Avatar
    Join Date
    March 10th, 2004
    Posts
    87
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 417 cab

    Have a nephew that is really getting into guitar, and was asking about a good guitar speaker. I understand that the 417 is highly acclaimed, and was thinking of getting one from GPA, but am not sure what to do for a cabinet. Should I just put together one using WINISD volume, and then make the back removable so he can experiment with closed/open, or does someone have a better suggestion for it?

  6. #6
    Inactive Member bfish's Avatar
    Join Date
    December 1st, 2004
    Posts
    2,891
    Follows
    0
    Following
    0
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: 417 cab

    .
    A multi-piece back could be a good idea, at least until he finds the setup he likes best. Add a piece, remove a piece, you know.

    As the opening becomes larger than a tuning port, box size becomes less important. Open backs soon become open baffles, so baffle size becomes more important than volume (shallow, but wide/tall) I'd consider his needs for portability, etc in that choice. I've run 417s in several cabs, from sealed to open, and haven't yet tried one I wasn't happy with after a bit of tweaking the amp's tone stack. That's the beauty of MI; no rules
    "[I]We're going all the way, till the wheels fall off and burn[/I]!"
    Bob Dylan, from [I]Brownsville Girl[/I]

    [I]"Time wounds all heels"[/I]
    John Lennon, referring to the Nixon/Hoover deportation fiasco.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.